Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Refract

I spend far too much time on a social networking site. I'm not too proud of this. I've become obsessed with the actions of the people I'm friends with, and I can note things about folks I haven't seen in over ten years. I've noticed that I've begun to misinterpret people's tone. I forget what they sound like in real life, and what implications the sentence they write might have. Sometimes I take things too seriously, and some things not serious enough. 

I read someone's status and it said "___ has fallen in love." and I thought "Wow, good for her..." Then I thought about this person, and it seemed highly unlikely for them to write something so serious, and so bold. I realized that I took what I had read and made it sound how I wanted it to. Or how I liked how it sounded. 

I've done a lot of keeping myself in check lately. I serious necessity. I can't let my heart get away with my head. I need my head to make sure not to screw things up. I like how I am, and I don't think I should have to compromise it. My tone of voice should be the same out loud as it is on the page. I don't know if that makes any sense at all. 

No comments: